Visit The Gulf Islands Off Vancouver Island
The Gulf Islands are located off of Vancouver Island, between the Island and the mainland of British Columbia, Canada. They have been named one of the best coastal destinations and Top 52 Places to Visit in 2016 by the New York Times.
— Daman Beatty (@Beatler) May 21, 2016
The Gulf Islands region has a surprisingly mild climate for being so far north. The climate is almost Mediterranean. It is home to beaches, swimming, fishing, scuba diving, sailing, wineries, and holistic farms. Plus, it is home to many artists.
There are over 200 islands, accessible by float plane, private boat, or ferry. The major islands all deserve a day or two each to explore. Bicycles are a good way to tour the islands. To get to an island you will have to pre-plan a ferry trip which only runs at certain times of the day and night. If you plan on staying overnight, you will have to plan accommodations as well. There are 14,000 people scattered throughout the various islands. Different islands offer different possibilities, so you will need to think about and pre-plan what you want to do.
Here are a few descriptions of some of the islands.
Salt Spring Island
Mild climate, laid back lifestyle, most popular island, home to the most people, wineries, organic farming, food artisans, cheesemakers
Art community, parks, beaches
Art, parks, beaches, limestone formations
Parks, wilderness, wildlife viewing
Mayne Island – 19th century buildings, kayaking opportunities, lighthouse, mountain climbing
This article contributed by Cheryl Jones, a free lance writer and blogger.
- Unplug from the Matrix: My First Sensory Deprivation Float - March 10, 2018
- Shambhala Music Festival Announces The Glitch Mob And REZZ As First Headliners For 21st Annual Edition And Releases Festival Trailer - March 10, 2018
- Amanda Hebert Wins David Beatty History Prize at Mount Allison University - June 2, 2017
- Exploring Squamish Part 4: What To Do in Squamish - October 17, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 3: Squamish Nation Canoe Builders - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 2: Sea to Sky Air Flightseeing - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 1: Via Ferrata at Sea to Sky Gondola - October 16, 2016
- Sunee D’s Comedy is Intensely Refreshing - August 6, 2016
- Sunee Dhaliwal – Live at the Rio: Broken Dreams - July 24, 2016
- Dad and the Opossum – A Story for Father’s Day - June 19, 2016