Dad tells the story of his 1952 high school grad road trip across the USA in a 1936 Chevy Straight-6 with his buddy Doug. One of their first stops was New Orleans for an experience they could never forget!
He says their visit to Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans was the first time he and Doug (a couple of small town country bumpkins) had seen a nude ‘girlie show’ but it turns out they weren’t exactly girls but in fact New Orleans drag queens! They had no idea what that was at the time!
(I’m guessing this is the exact “Queer” Drag Queen Show Lounge Dad and Doug visited as it was right on Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans as mentioned.)
Listen to his hilarious account… keep in mind he’s telling it from the perspective of a 1950’s country boy, so please forgive some of the language he uses.
The Story Continues!
After I showed him this video, Dad’s youngest brother told me the part of the story Dad left out: Dad brought back some girlie photos (of topless women) from New Orleans but when he was moving out to get married he gave them to this younger brother (11 years old at the time! LOL). Their father later found them and boy was he pissed at Dad! Too funny! Reminds me of The Wonder Years!
(Here’s a photo of Dad [right] and his youngest brother on the family farm circa 1952.)
By the way, during Dad’s trip across the USA with Doug they wrote letters home to the local newspaper, The Williamston Enterprise. I plan to publish them all here so stay tuned. Lots more interviews with Dad as well!
- Unplug from the Matrix: My First Sensory Deprivation Float - March 10, 2018
- Shambhala Music Festival Announces The Glitch Mob And REZZ As First Headliners For 21st Annual Edition And Releases Festival Trailer - March 10, 2018
- Amanda Hebert Wins David Beatty History Prize at Mount Allison University - June 2, 2017
- Exploring Squamish Part 4: What To Do in Squamish - October 17, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 3: Squamish Nation Canoe Builders - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 2: Sea to Sky Air Flightseeing - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 1: Via Ferrata at Sea to Sky Gondola - October 16, 2016
- Sunee D’s Comedy is Intensely Refreshing - August 6, 2016
- Sunee Dhaliwal – Live at the Rio: Broken Dreams - July 24, 2016
- Dad and the Opossum – A Story for Father’s Day - June 19, 2016