Some people have idols – rock stars, athletes, actors and so on, but mine is the foul-mouthed modern marketing genius, Gary Vaynerchuk.
I was lucky enough to meet him in person at a Financial Post Reach Marketing event in Vancouver. Here’s the pic:
(With the amazing @garyvee after his killer speech at @fpreach #fpreach by @damanbeatty)
Vaynerchuk was born in 1975 in the USSR and immigrated with his family to New Jersey in 1978. After graduating from college he transformed his father’s liquor store into a retail wine store named Wine Library. In 2006 he started an early YouTube show called Wine Library TV, which I remember watching back then. In 2011 he stepped away from his wine videos to focus on VaynerMedia, the social media brand consulting agency he co-founded in the Spring of 2009.
Tonight I wanted something thought provoking to listen to while I ran on the treadmill, so I loaded Episode 136 “The One With Gary Vaynerchuk” of the I Love Marketing Podcast with Dean Jackson and Joe Polish onto my iPod. You can watch it here:
Gary has such an gifted understanding of connecting with people, and making the most of each unique social medium. You really have to listen to him. Every time I hear him speak, my brain starts exploding with inspiration. I had to run home post workout to write down all of the great ideas he gave me!
He has published several books including his very recent one Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook – How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World, which he discusses in the podcast. He’s hilariously clever too, for example on the same page where he’s selling that book, he offers “Personalized Videos” for purchase, where he’ll shout out bullet points you provide him or “10 Minute Phone Calls.”
My favourite @GaryVee quote:
- Unplug from the Matrix: My First Sensory Deprivation Float - March 10, 2018
- Shambhala Music Festival Announces The Glitch Mob And REZZ As First Headliners For 21st Annual Edition And Releases Festival Trailer - March 10, 2018
- Amanda Hebert Wins David Beatty History Prize at Mount Allison University - June 2, 2017
- Exploring Squamish Part 4: What To Do in Squamish - October 17, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 3: Squamish Nation Canoe Builders - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 2: Sea to Sky Air Flightseeing - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 1: Via Ferrata at Sea to Sky Gondola - October 16, 2016
- Sunee D’s Comedy is Intensely Refreshing - August 6, 2016
- Sunee Dhaliwal – Live at the Rio: Broken Dreams - July 24, 2016
- Dad and the Opossum – A Story for Father’s Day - June 19, 2016