Fatima and I discovered a most spectacular camping spot only one hour south of the Washington border!
(Whidbey Island, only an hour from the Canadian border)
Royal Navy officers and members of Vancouver’s expedition, Joseph Whidbey (Chief Navigator) and Peter Puget, mapped and explored the areas later named Puget Sound. Peter got the Sound, and Vancouver named this island after Joseph.
(Our view underneath Deception Pass Bridge)
Whidbey Island is connected to the mainland by Deception Pass Bridge in the north and a ferry in the south. In that spring of 1792, Joseph Whidbey, master of the HMS Discovery proved that it was not really a small bay as charted by the Spaniards (hence the name “Deception”).
(Waters Below Deception Pass Bridge)
He showed that is was instead a deep and turbulent channel connecting the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Saratoga Passage, which separates the mainland from what they thought was a peninsula (actually Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island). Thomas Coupe, a sea captain and founder of Coupeville, Whidbey Island was the only man ever to sail a full-rigged ship through there – more on him later!
(Our tent and camping site at Deception Pass State Park)
(Fatima and I inside our tent at Deception Pass Park)
The campground at Deception Pass State Park lies beneath this bridge and the views are spectacular. Take a closer look with our photos and video – all taken in and around the park (except for that last one which is our tent drying out on our balcony back home!).
- Unplug from the Matrix: My First Sensory Deprivation Float - March 10, 2018
- Shambhala Music Festival Announces The Glitch Mob And REZZ As First Headliners For 21st Annual Edition And Releases Festival Trailer - March 10, 2018
- Amanda Hebert Wins David Beatty History Prize at Mount Allison University - June 2, 2017
- Exploring Squamish Part 4: What To Do in Squamish - October 17, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 3: Squamish Nation Canoe Builders - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 2: Sea to Sky Air Flightseeing - October 16, 2016
- Exploring Squamish Part 1: Via Ferrata at Sea to Sky Gondola - October 16, 2016
- Sunee D’s Comedy is Intensely Refreshing - August 6, 2016
- Sunee Dhaliwal – Live at the Rio: Broken Dreams - July 24, 2016
- Dad and the Opossum – A Story for Father’s Day - June 19, 2016